Gastric Bypass surgery is a treatment method that is mostly used in obesity surgery today. The aim of the treatment is to reduce the stomach volume and to shorten the path of absorption of nutrients in the small intestine.
After the surgery, patients reach a feeling of satiety by consuming less food. With the successful results we have obtained in the field of Gastric Bypass surgery, we provide a professional service to our patients. After the surgeries we perform as Clinic Care Center, patients lose weight effectively and permanently.
What is Gastric Bypass Surgery?
Since obesity is one of the diseases of our age, treatment methods have started to be developed and many treatment methods have been tried. Almost all of the methods used in obesity treatments are laparoscopic methods.
During the operation, the abdomen is opened, and the operation is performed through small incisions in the angles. Unlike other methods, robotic surgery method is used in Gastric Bypass surgery. This minimizes the error rate and provides more successful results.
In Gastric Bypass surgeries, a small stomach section is prepared and the operation is completed by suturing it to the small intestines. This helps to remove some of the consumed nutrients without being absorbed.
As it is known, the stomach volume is also reduced and the patient reaches a feeling of fullness in a shorter time by feeding less. One of the causes of obesity is the loss of the feeling of satiety, the desire to eat more due to problems such as stress. However, when the stomach volume is reduced, it is not possible to eat more than normal.
Gastric Bypass surgery, which is a very successful surgical method, is a long process that patients should be careful about after the surgery. Weight loss should be without vitamin and mineral deficiency. For this reason, a process is followed in which not only the surgical procedure should be followed, but also the diet lists should be followed.
Along with our expert surgeons, our professional dietician teams also deal with patients one-on-one. Completely patient-specific diet lists, follow-up of the post-operative process are carried out systematically by our clinic. If necessary, vitamin and mineral support is provided for the patient to lose weight in a healthy way.
Who Can Have Surgery?
Gastric Bypass surgery is primarily applied in morbid obesity, if there is a disease that may cause obesity, it can also be preferred as a solution. The fact that people take energy above their needs causes them to gain weight over time.
Progression of this condition reveals excessive fat storage in the body. Morbid obesity is disease-grade obesity. It directly affects the quality of life of people, it must be treated because of factors such as restriction of movement, emergence of psychological problems.
Studies on morbid obesity have revealed that the lifespan of their patients is shortened. Although it is possible to lose weight with a serious diet, in some cases it is very difficult for patients to lose weight with diet.
In our clinic, first of all, necessary tests are performed on the patient, and after the diagnosis of morbid obesity, the treatment process is decided. The things that need to be done for the surgery are as follows;
- Body mass index should be 40 and above.
- In case of obesity-related type-2 diabetes, surgery can be performed.
- Hypertension and medical problems are also suitable for surgery.
Patients who need to be treated need to be psychologically prepared for treatment. Surgery should not be decided abruptly, all factors such as the patient’s mood and, if any, different diseases should be evaluated together.
Since it is a serious process, it is a task that must be undertaken by specialist doctors. Since we serve with a team with extensive knowledge in this field, no complaints were received from our patients and it was observed that they fell to the desired weight in a healthy way.
How is Gastric Bypass Surgery Performed?
Obesity surgery is performed after opening small sections in the abdomen and entering these sections. The laparoscopic method is followed in Gastric Bypass surgeries, as in all obesity surgeries.
Robotic surgery method is preferred because it provides more advanced and successful results. The purpose of the surgery is to reduce the stomach volume. The steps followed during the operation can be listed as follows;
- Patients are evaluated by physical examinations, endocrinology and psychiatry specialists, and surgery is decided as a result of these evaluations.
- In surgeries performed under anesthesia, holes with a diameter of 1 cm are drilled.
- An average of 90% of the stomach is bypassed.
- The stomach is divided into two, and the 12 finger intestines are also bypassed.
- In this way, the foods to be consumed do not pass through the 12 finger intestines.
- The patient must be under control in the hospital for up to 4 days in order to be followed up.
Since gastric surgery is a treatment with risks, it is important that patients are under control. Against the risk of complications, each patient is taken care of by our specialist doctors. Before being discharged, a special diet list is prepared about how the diet will be.
Gastric Bypass surgery is performed to help people diagnosed with obesity lose weight. Although it is a sufficient surgery on its own, it is possible to experience unhealthy weight loss during the weight loss phase. Since it is also a surgical procedure, there are important points that patients should pay attention to. After surgery, patients should pay attention to the following;
- Heavy activities should not be done for an average of 6 weeks.
- It is recommended not to drive for 2 weeks.
- It is okay for patients who want to do sports to do movements such as walking and climbing stairs.
- In order to return to business life, at least 2 weeks must pass after the operation.
- It is important that patients who work in jobs with heavy activities return to work at least 6 weeks later.
- When creating a diet, at least 3 meals a day should be consumed.
- It may be necessary to focus on protein, fruit, vegetable and wheat grain groups.
- Patients consume mashed foods for an average of 3 weeks, and then the diet list begins.
- At least 2 liters of fluid should be consumed to avoid dehydration.
- Food should be chewed sufficiently, solid and liquid foods should not be consumed together.
- No liquid should be taken for 30 minutes before and after a meal.
- Food should be stopped when pressure is felt in the abdomen.
Is Gastric Bypass Surgery Risky?
There are complications that can be seen after gastric bypass operations. It is not something to be afraid of as complications may occur after all surgical procedures. However, patients should be informed about these risks in order to be cautious. Serious complications are rarely seen, if they occur in our patients, they are immediately intervened. The side effects that may occur after the surgery are as follows;
- General anesthesia complications such as bleeding, infection, hernia
- Leakage between stomach and small intestine
- Formation of a blood clot in the lung
- Formation of a blood clot in the lung
- cardiac problems
- blood clot formation in foot
Complications were observed in 10% of patients after bariatric surgery. These effects are seldom possible and treatable. In case of leakage between the stomach and small intestine, it is necessary to have a re-operation.
Weight Loss After Surgery
Obesity surgeries are processes that help patients lose weight in a healthy way and achieve successful results. The fact that patients feel full with less food allows them to take food below the amount of energy they need. In this way, the patient who starts to lose weight can lose the desired weight in the long term.
Instant weight loss should not be expected, attention should be paid to the diet when possible. The weight loss process starts within 1-2 months after the surgery. However, the full effect and reduction of ideal weight are seen after an average of 1 year after Gastric Bypass surgery. Clinic Care Center will always support you in losing weight.