Tolcylen is a brand name for tolnaftate topical, an antifungal medication used to treat skin infections such as athlete’s foot (tinea pedis), jock itch (tinea cruris), and ringworm (tinea corporis). It is available in a variety of forms, including solution, cream, and powder.
How Tolcylen Works
Tolcylen works by preventing the growth of fungus. It does this by disrupting the fungus’s cell membrane, which is essential for the fungus to survive. Tolcylen also contains alcohol, which helps to soften the nail plate, making it easier for the antifungal agents to penetrate the nail and reach the infection.
Tolcylen is applied to the affected area once or twice a day, depending on the severity of the infection. It is important to continue using Tolcylen for the full course of treatment, even if the symptoms seem to go away. This is because the fungus may still be present and could come back if treatment is stopped too early.
Tolcylen is generally safe and well-tolerated. However, it can cause some side effects, such as skin irritation, redness, and itching. If you experience any of these side effects, stop using Tolcylen and talk to your doctor.
Here is a more detailed explanation of how Tolcylen works:
- Penetration: Tolcylen’s low surface tension allows it to penetrate the nail plate and reach the infection site.
- Disruption of fungal cell membrane: Tolcylen’s antifungal agents disrupt the cell membrane of the fungus, which is essential for its survival.
- Prevention of fungal growth: By disrupting the fungal cell membrane, Tolcylen prevents the fungus from growing and spreading.
- Cosmetic agents: Tolcylen also contains cosmetic agents that help to improve the appearance of the nail as it heals.
It is important to note that Tolcylen may not be effective for all types of fungal infections. If your infection does not improve after using Tolcylen for two weeks, talk to your doctor. They may recommend a different treatment option.
How to Use Tolcylen
Here are the instructions on how to use Tolcylen:
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water.
- Clean and dry the affected area.
- Apply a thin layer of Tolcylen to the affected area, including the surrounding skin.
- Rub the Tolcylen into the skin until it is completely absorbed.
- Let the Tolcylen air dry completely.
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water after applying Tolcylen.
- Apply Tolcylen once or twice a day, depending on the severity of the infection.
- Continue using Tolcylen for the full course of treatment, even if the symptoms seem to go away.
- If you experience any side effects, such as skin irritation, redness, or itching, stop using Tolcylen and talk to your doctor.
Here are some additional tips for using Tolcylen:
- Do not wrap, cover, or bandage the treated area unless directed to do so by your doctor.
- Avoid getting Tolcylen in your eyes, nose, or mouth. If you do get Tolcylen in your eyes, flush them with plenty of water.
- Keep Tolcylen out of reach of children.
- Store Tolcylen at room temperature away from moisture and heat.
- Do not use Tolcylen after the expiration date on the label.
If you have any questions about how to use Tolcylen, talk to your doctor or pharmacist.
How Long Does Tolcylen Take to Work?
Tolcylen typically takes several weeks to start working. You may start to see improvement in the appearance of your nails within 4 to 8 weeks, but it may take up to 12 months for the infection to completely clear.
Here is a more detailed timeline of how Tolcylen works:
- Week 1-4: You may start to see some improvement in the appearance of your nails, such as the nails becoming less discolored and thickened.
- Week 4-8: You should see significant improvement in the appearance of your nails.
- Month 3-6: The infection should be mostly cleared, and your nails should start to grow out healthy.
- Month 6-12: The infection should be completely cleared, and your nails should be completely healthy.
It is important to note that this is just a general timeline, and the actual time it takes for Tolcylen to work will vary from person to person. The severity of the infection, the thickness of the nails, and your overall health can all affect how long it takes Tolcylen to work.
If you are using Tolcylen for toenail fungus, it is important to be patient and continue using the medication for the full course of treatment. Toenail fungus can be a stubborn infection, and it may take several months for Tolcylen to completely clear the infection.
If you do not see any improvement in your symptoms after using Tolcylen for 4 weeks, talk to your doctor. They may need to adjust your treatment plan.
Side Effects of Tolcylen
Tolcylen is generally safe and well-tolerated, but it can cause some side effects. The most common side effects are mild and temporary, and they usually go away on their own.
Common side effects of Tolcylen include:
- Skin irritation
- Burning sensation
These side effects are usually mild and go away on their own within a few days of using Tolcylen. However, if you experience any of these side effects and they are severe or do not go away, talk to your doctor.
Rare side effects of Tolcylen include:
- Allergic reaction
- Skin rash
- Difficulty breathing
If you experience any of these side effects, stop using Tolcylen and talk to your doctor right away.
Warnings and Precautions
Before using Tolcylen, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are allergic to it; or if you have any other allergies. This medication may contain inactive ingredients, which can cause allergic reactions or other problems. Talk to your pharmacist for more details.
Tell your doctor if you have any of the following health conditions before using Tolcylen:
- Weak immune system (such as from HIV/AIDS or organ transplant)
- Poor blood circulation in the hands or feet
Tolcylen should be used during pregnancy only if clearly needed. It is not known whether Tolcylen passes into breast milk. Consult your doctor before breastfeeding.
Pregnancy and Breastfeeding
If you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant, talk to your doctor before using Tolcylen. It is not known whether Tolcylen is safe for use during pregnancy.
If you are breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before using Tolcylen. It is not known whether Tolcylen passes into breast milk.
Tolcylen is safe and effective for use in children older than 2 years of age.
Tell your doctor about all the medicines you take, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements. Some medicines may interact with Tolcylen and cause serious side effects.
Use Tolcylen exactly as directed by your doctor. Do not use more or less of it or use it more often than prescribed. Apply a thin layer of Tolcylen to the affected area once or twice a day. Wash your hands thoroughly after applying Tolcylen.
If you accidentally swallow Tolcylen, call your doctor or poison control center right away.
If you miss a dose of Tolcylen, apply it as soon as you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not apply a double dose to catch up.
Store Tolcylen at room temperature away from moisture and heat. Do not freeze Tolcylen. Keep Tolcylen out of reach of children and pets.
When you have finished using Tolcylen, throw away any unused medication. Do not flush Tolcylen down the toilet or pour it down a drain.
Tolcylen has received generally positive reviews from users. Many people have reported that Tolcylen is effective at treating fungal infections of the skin and nails. Some users have also reported that Tolcylen is easy to use and does not cause any side effects.
Here are some of the positive reviews that Tolcylen has received:
“I have been using Tolcylen for about two weeks now and I am already seeing a difference. My toenail fungus is starting to clear up and the pain is gone.”
“I used Tolcylen to treat my athlete’s foot and it worked great. The itching went away within a few days and the redness was gone within a week.”
“I am very happy with Tolcylen. It is easy to use and it does not cause any side effects. I would definitely recommend it to others.”
“I used Tolcylen for my toenail fungus and it did not work at all. The fungus is still there and it is worse than ever.”
“I am not sure if Tolcylen is worth the money. There are other antifungal medications that are just as effective and much cheaper.”
Overall, Tolcylen is a safe and effective medication for treating fungal infections of the skin and nails. However, it is important to note that it may not work for everyone. If you are considering using Tolcylen, talk to your doctor to see if it is right for you.